(Artwork care of Karen Ramsay (www.karenramsay.com), profile photo care of brianlackeyphotography.com)

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Everyone's got an opinion...

When it comes to judging music, most people assume that a musician's opinions are worth more. Someone who has the power to create music? Surely they're in a better position than anyone else, right?

Wrong. Flat out wrong. A skilled musician may know all about their instrument and how to play their chosen style of music...and yet their perspective may be fairly narrow. I know musicians who love to play but are mostly just casual listeners. They know what they like and they don't immerse themselves in music. Sometimes, they're even proud of their lack of interest; as if other styles of music or other perspectives on their own music are just not relevant. That is no basis for a real opinion about music.

Ultimately, informed appreciation is worth a lot more than skill at creating music or musical talent. It's like comparing a skilled cook to a gourmand. If you're hungry now, the cook may be of more immediate help. But if you're looking for recommendations or insights, talk to the gourmand first -- someone who's dedicated their energy to enjoying and understanding food. Regardless of whether they've made rack of lamb or boiled water, they can talk about how to understand a given cuisine and the flavors you'll find. They can lead you to a richer life even if you're not a food freak like them. You may not necessarily agree with them but their opinions are meaningful because of their investment and effort.

Keep in mind, these qualities are not mutually exclusive: a musician may also be an aficionado. When the two come together, it's often a case where the love of music grows into the desire to play and create. That's how it worked for me. Some of my earliest memories involve music. I remember listening to my dad play jazz standards on guitar and also listening to a small collection of 45's. Over time, this fixation grew -- the more music I listened to, the more I needed to hear. Eventually, I started making up little songs with silly lyrics and stolen tunes. As I evolved into a songwriter and musician (in that order!), it was my growing musical appreciation that drove me forward.

As a teenager, I developed more experience, expanding the styles of music I listened to and then learning more about them. I started to recognize sonic similarities and to learn more about culture and history. I built up a mental music box of different bands and songs. This fit in well with my analytical nature; I found connections between these things and pieced together mental relationships. This is added depth to my playing but I did it for its own sake. As an adult, I still constantly listen to music and I'm driven to expand the music I listen to. It's a rush to find a new band and work out how their music relates to what I already know and hear. In the last couple of months, I've added Cambodian influenced rock and symphonic power metal to my musical landscape, making it a richer world.

People often acknowledge my musical obsession by assuming that it's because I'm a musician. Of course, playing feeds back into my appreciation, adding another facet. But I know it's the other way around. That doesn't make my opinions any better than theirs. It just means I've thought about it more than most and, maybe, I can offer a little insight about what I hear.

What about you? Where are you on the spectrum between casual listening and obsession?

No comments:

Post a Comment